Tuesday, November 4, 2014

I did it! You can too!


So here we are, my first season at Cross Roads only has 7 market days left. We close for the season on December 20, 2014 and re-open May 2, 2015. Wow! It has gone so fast. 

It was a great experience right from the beginning. Henry - Henri's Gallery of Prints was one of the first people I met. He took the time to talk to me and my husband.  I was looking for a 10'x10' space and he talked my husband into a 10'x15' space. I am glad he did.  It really made a difference. His daughter Wendy - Fudge N' Stuff, was so kind to me. She made me feel very welcome and accepted right off the bat.  She offered to help me paint and cart things in and design my booth. I probably drove her nuts, every time I did anything I would ask for her opinion. She was great about it.  Kris - Spice Harbor & Spice Harbor,Too, is the type of person who will tell you what she thinks, if she feels your receptive. It was great. I would come in to find things moved and if she saw I put them back she would come over and explain to me why she moved it.  They both had great ideas. They were always there to ask question of.  It is a wonderful feeling to have people so willing to help you succeed in what you are doing.  Most of the vendors, in any of the buildings, will give you feedback if you ask for it.  If you are happy and succeed so do they.

I was instantly accepted! I am a person who just assumes that most people don't like me or that what I do doesn't really matter to most. Most places I have worked I have felt invisible and an outsider but I never felt like that at Cross Roads. They all work together, unlike craft shows where you are only in the same place for a few days, you make friends but you don't usually work as a team.  Cross Roads is so different from that.  You are expected to put the word out and do personal advertising on your social media sites, but that is something you would have to do if you had your own brick and mortar store front. They ask that you contribute to finding/planning activities that would appeal to a wide range of visitors, just another way to get people to come visit. They want you to succeed. They will do what they can but you must put forth the effort to make your business thrive also.  Always remember it is your shop you are only housed in Cross Roads.

I have not become a millionaire but I wasn't looking for that. I am happy to make my rent, pay for my materials and have repeat customers. It is so great to talk to people and find out where they are from and how they heard of Cross Roads. The best part is when someone is instantly drawn to something in your shop and you can see the joy and appreciation in their eyes and the smile on their hearts. Those are the moments I live for. It's not all about money for me, it's about making friends and lasting customer relationships. Word of mouth is the best advertising, so give them something good to talk about.

If you ever have any questions about becoming a vendor or you just want to come visit feel free to comment or give us a call.  By the way we now have an E-Newsletter. If you would like to sign up email us your email address or click here.  



Part 1- My first visit to Cross Roads
Part 2- Opening a shop at Cross Roads, is it really possible?
Part 3- Putting together my shop
Part 4- I did it! You can too!

No comments:

Post a Comment